CNN International dedicates month-long “Africa Now” special programming
CNN International is continuing its commitment to the African continent with an expansive series of special features and programmes about Africa throughout October 2015, coinciding with the 20th CNN MultiChoice African Journalist Awards in Nairobi, Kenya.
The breadth of “Africa Now” programming across the network reflects CNN International’s commitment to covering arts, culture, business and travel content from and about the continent. Special programming during October includes:
- Africa Now – a new segment airing weekly during The Business View show throughout the month of October. Each segment will focus on an element of African business – from innovation to workforce trends – that reflects global trends and has an impact outside of the continent
- On the Road Ethiopia – a 30-minute programme that spans the country’s Feast of Meskel festival, the ancient walled city of Harar, its Ethio-jazz musical genre, and the astronomical observatory on top of the 3,200-metre-tall Mount Entoto
- On the Road Tanzania – a 30-minute programme that covers the country’s rich storytelling across movies, music and poetry, biodiversity in the Eastern Usambara Mountain range, and UNESCO World Heritage Site the port of Kilwa
- Leading Women – CNN’s show about women at the top of their field features an interview with Lupita Nyong’o. The Oscar-winning actress talks to Robyn Kriel about her last two years in the spotlight, what brought her home to Kenya and how she handles the pressure of Hollywood
- One Square Meter – the network’s weekly segment about real estate airing in Connect the World will focus entirely on Africa during October. Reports will air about One Airport Square in Accra, Ghana, and the Contemporary Art Museum in Cape Town, South Africa, plus two further pieces from Ethiopia and Nigeria
This additional features programming throughout October complements CNN International’s existing five programming strands dedicated to the continent – Inside Africa, African Voices, CNN Marketplace Africa, Africa View and African Start-Up. These strands cover a mix of African culture, trends and business, with African Voices and CNN Marketplace Africa both revamped with new formats and new presenters earlier in 2015.
October 2015 sees the 20th CNN MultiChoice African Journalist Awards taking place in Nairobi, Kenya. The awards are the standard for excellence in journalism throughout the African continent. This year, 31 finalists from 15 countries will vie for the accolade of being named African Journalist of the Year.
“CNN has a long-standing commitment through our five dedicated Africa programming strands – more than any other international network – to uncover vibrant stories and trends from right across the continent,” said Ellana Lee, Senior Vice President and Managing Editor, CNN International. “We are pleased to showcase the very best that Africa has to offer during a celebratory occasion of the 20th African Journalist Awards.”
CNN’s breadth of Africa programming reflects the network’s mass reach across the continent. The latest independent research from Ipsos Mori shows that CNN is the undisputed number one international news brand in Africa, reaching 59% of Africa’s upscale population via TV and digital platforms every month – more than all direct news competitors.
Throughout October, CNN Digital will also publish a range of multi-media and social content to complement the additional Africa programming. Social media will be focused around the @CNNAfrica Twitter account and #CNNAfrica.
Notes to Editors
For more information, please contact:
CNN Europe, Middle East & Africa
Tel: + 44 20 7693 0967
Africa Now segments airs during The Business View, which is broadcast on CNN International daily at 1100 EAT / 1200 SAT / 1300 WAT.
Leading Women featuring Lupita Nyong’o will air at Wednesday 28 October at 0930 WAT / 1030 SAT / 1130 EAT and 1630 WAT / 1730 SAT / 1830 EAT
One Square Meter airs during Connect The World with Becky Anderson, which is broadcast on CNN International daily at 1600 EAT / 1700 SAT / 1800 WAT.
African Start-up airs during Connect The World with Becky Anderson every Wednesday and is online at http://edition.cnn.com/specials/africa/african-startup. It is also broadcast as a bi-monthly 30-minute show.
African Voices airs every Friday on CNN International at 0930 EAT / 1030 SAT / 1130 WAT, Saturday at 1530 EAT / 1630 SAT / 1730 WAT, and the episode is available online at http://edition.cnn.com/specials/africa/african-voices.
Africa View airs during Connect The World with Becky Anderson every Monday and is online at http://edition.cnn.com/specials/africa/africa-view.
CNN Marketplace Africa airs every Friday and Saturday on CNN International at 1615 EAT / 1715 SAT / 1815 WAT, and is online at http://edition.cnn.com/specials/business/marketplace-africa.
About CNN International
CNN’s portfolio of news and information services is available in six different languages across all major TV, internet and mobile platforms reaching more than 395 million households around the globe. CNN International is the number one international TV news channel according to all major media surveys across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, the Asia Pacific region and Latin America and has an increased presence in the U.S. with its recent launch on CNNgo. Over the years it has won multiple prestigious awards around the world for its journalism, including most recently the Asian Television Award Cable & Satellite Network and Channel of the Year, and is a two-time winner of Royal Television Society News Channel of the Year. CNN Digital is a top network for online news, mobile news and social media. CNN has 41 editorial offices and more than 1,100 affiliates worldwide through CNN Newsource. CNN International is part of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company.