CNN to shine spotlight on world of professional fencing
En Garde theme week to air in CNN World Sport during 2015 World Fencing Championships
CNN International is broadcasting a special week of coverage about the skill, artistry and tradition of the sport of fencing to coincide with year’s World Fencing Championships.
Starting Monday July 13th, the series of En Garde reports will air daily in CNN World Sport covering a range of aspects about the sport. Topics being covered will include:
- The history of fencing – the transition from combat to sport, and its ever-present place in the Olympic Games
- The rules – from scoring and equipment to technique and etiquette
- The weapons – a first-hand look at the blades used – épeé, foil and sabre
- The champion – a training session with the South Korea national team and men’s sabre number 1 Gu Bongil as they prepare for the World Fencing Championships
- The rising star – we’ll meet 2015 Junior World Champion Eloisa Passaro, a 17-year old Italian sabre fencer who is tipped for the top
The reports will be an important part of CNN International’s sports features coverage during the week of the 2015 World Fencing Championships, taking place in Moscow July 13th-19th. Airing within CNN World Sport and with video and supplementary coverage on CNN.com, En Garde will complement CNN’s wide range of sports coverage that appeals to a global audience spanning motorsport, sailing, golf, equestrianism, football and many other sports.
CNN World Sport airs every weekday on CNN International at 1230 BST / 1330 CET / 0730 ET