CNN Shows Most Growth of All Cable News Nets In April and Now Ranks #2 Year-to-Date
CNN Has Best Ratings Month Since November 2012
CNN Tops MSNBC in Key Dayparts for the First Time in Over a Year; MSNBC Slips to 4th
April 2013 is CNN Digital’s Most Trafficked Month in History; Network Breaks Records with1.8+ Billion Page Views
During a month that saw breaking news and extended coverage from Boston, CNN had its best total day (6a-6a) delivery among total viewers and the demo25-54 since November 2012 and posted double and triple-digit increases vs. a year ago in total day and M-F/M-Su prime in both total viewers and the key demo 25-54. April marks the first time CNN has outdelivered MSNBC in total viewers and the key demo 25-54 in more than a year (March 2011) in total day and in prime. MSNBC also slips to 4th place (behind HLN) in total day, the morning, daytime (9a-5p), 6p, 7p and 8p in the key demo 25-54. CNN is now topping MSNBC year-to-date in total day– ranking second among the cable news networks in total viewers and 25-54.
April network highlights (thru April 28):
Total Day: CNN is up +79% in total viewers (638k vs. 356k), +109% among adults 25-54 (228k vs. 109k)
MSNBC declined -4% in total viewers (407k vs. 426k), flat among adults 25-54 (139k vs. 139k)
FXNC grew +14% in total viewers (1.232m vs. 1.084m), only +2% among adults 25-54 (278k vs. 273k)
M-F Prime: CNN grew +88% in total viewers (1.008m vs. 536k), +133% among adults 25-54 (379k vs. 163k)
MSNBC dropped -12% in total viewers (795k vs. 902k), flat among adults 25-54 (254k vs. 253k)
FXNC is up +5% total viewers (2.342m vs. 2.228m), but dropped -3% in the target demo 25-54 (475k vs. 489k)
M-Su Prime: CNN increased +80% in total viewers (920k vs. 510k), +128% in 25-54 (340k vs. 149k)
MSNBC declined -10% in total viewers (686k vs. 760k), flat among adults 25-54 (237k vs. 239k)
FXNC grew +9% in total viewers (2.022m vs.1.858m), but dropped -2% in 25-54 (392k vs. 398k)
CNN programs have shown significant strength this month, with weekday prime programs registering their best performances in years among total viewers and 25-54 – program highlights include:
- The Lead with Jake Tapper: After premiering a month ago (March 18) the program is up by substantial margins, increasing +108% in the key demo 25-54 (258k vs. 124k) and +54% in total viewers (829k vs. 538k) compared to a year ago. The Lead now ranks second only to FXNC at 4p (MSNBC slips to fourth behind CNN and HLN).
- The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer (6p) increased more than any program on CNN, FXNC or MSNBC in the demo this month — growing +224% among 25-54 (343k vs. 106k) and +124% in total viewers (976k vs. 435k) compared to a year ago. Sit Room moved to second place this month, with MSNBC slipping to 4th place behind CNN and HLN among both demos.
- Outfront with Erin Burnett increased more than any program on CNN, FXNC or MSNBC in total viewers this month – growing +145% (1.004m vs. 409k) vs. a year ago. EBO is also having its best month ever and is posting the network’s best 7pm performance in both total viewers and the key demo since November 2008. For the month, EBO ranked second to FXNC, averaging 366k in the key demo (up +221% from last year’s 114k) and 1.004m in total viewers. MSNBC’s Hardball was down -13% this month in total viewers (670k vs. 769k) and slipped to 4th in the key demo 25-54.
- Anderson Cooper 360 (8p) was the top-rated show on CNN in both total viewers and in the key demo 25-54 during April. For the month, AC 360 averaged 431k among 25-54, increasing +197% from a year ago (145k) and 1.158m among total viewers, up +129% (506k). MSNBC’s All In with Chris Hayes was down -18% in total viewers vs. last year’s The Ed Show (718k vs. 880k) and ranked 3rd in April. The show placed 4th in the key demo 25-54.
- Piers Morgan Live grew +119% among the key demo 25-54 (354k vs. 162k) and increased +71% among total viewers (977k vs. 572k) this month compared to a year ago. PML ranked second in April at 9p – with MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow placing third in both total viewers and demo. Maddow actually declined -7% among total viewers (931k vs. 1.0m) for the month versus year-ago.
- Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown is posting triple-digit increases vs. a year ago on Sunday at 9p. Launch-to-date, the program is delivering 389k in the demo 25-54, up +440% vs. same period a year ago (72k) and has ranked #1 in cable news on Sunday in each of its first three weeks on the air. In total viewers, Bourdain increased +122% (872k vs. 392k) at 9p vs. a year ago.
As of 4p April 29th CNN Digital had posted more than 1.8 billion page views for the month. The placement puts it ahead of November 2008’s record 1.6 billion page views, making April 2013 the network’s most trafficked month to date.
The site is also slated for its second best month in video, with over 131 million video starts to its credit at 4p on April 29th.