CNN Was Top-Rated In Cable News On Friday in Key Demos 25-54, 18-34
Network Has Best Delivery Since Election Day and Highest Non-Political Delivery in 10 Years
CNN Digital Posts Record Numbers; Highest Traffic of 2013, Among Top Days in History
According to Nielsen time period data for Friday, April 19, CNN was the top-rated cable news outlet averaging 2.47 million viewers in primetime and 1.34 million in total day in the key demo adults 25-54. FXNC followed with 1.93 million in primetime and 953k in total day and MSNBC posted 618k and 387k respectively in the key target demo adults 25-54.
CNN also ranked #1 in cable news among younger viewers 18-34 in primetime with 1.01 million and #2 in all of television (NBC averaged 1.22 million). CNN’s 18-34 primetime performance is +25% above ABC’s 808k, +60% ahead of CBS’ 631k, +140% over FXNC’s 420k, and +327% above MSNBC’s 236k.
On Friday, CNN posted its highest total day total viewer, 25-54 and 18-34 audiences since Election Day 2012 (Election Day total viewers 3.48 million, 25-54 1.70 million and 18-34 1.02 million). Across all demos (total viewers, 25-54, 18-34), Friday was the network’s highest total day performance (non-political) in 10 years (since the Iraq War).
Compared to the prior four Fridays, CNN had the largest total day growth in cable news – increasing +1168% in 25-54 and +788% in total viewers. FXNC was up +333% in the demo and +73% in total viewers, and MSNBC increased +231% and +220% respectively.
CNN Digital for Friday, April 19, 2013:
• 173+ million page views – the 3rd highest day on record after Election Days 2008 and 2012.
• 20.4+ million unique visitors – the 4th highest day in history.
• 21 million video starts – 3rd highest day in history, following only the Japanese tsunami and Inauguration 2009.
• 2.3+ million live video streams.
• 44 million mobile page views – second highest ever.
• 1.41 million mobile video starts – top day on record.
• CNN’s unauthenticated live TV coverage received more than 163K mobile plays.
*In addition, the CNN Apps for iPhone and iPad both peaked as the #1 free apps in the iTunes Store on Friday, April 19, 2013.
(Sources: Adobe Analytics; Bango mobile – includes domestic sites only)