11:32 AM ET, April 10th, 2014

Mike Rowe, Lisa Ling, John Walsh Join Anthony Bourdain, Morgan Spurlock for CNN Original Series  Series and Films to Air at 9 PM, CNN Tonight to Air at 10 PM CNN today announced a new primetime lineup that continues to build on the network’s strategy of offering both live, breaking news programming as well as quality, original series, CNN […] Full Post

October 25th, 2012

Sununu: "When you have somebody of your own race that you're proud of...I applaud Colin for standing with him"

Tonight on his show, CNN's Piers Morgan asked former New Hampshire governor about Colin Powell's recent endorsement of the incumbent:

"Colin Powell has decided to opt for President Obama again, despite apparently still being a Republican. Is it time he left the party?"

"I'm not sure how important that is," replied the 73-year-old adviser to Mitt Romney. "Frankly, when you take a look at Colin Powell, you have to wonder if that's an endorsement based on issues, or whether he's got a slightly different reason for preferring President Obama?"

"What reason would that be?" wondered the host.

"Well, I think when you have somebody of your own race that you're proud of being President of the United States, I applaud Colin for standing with him."

Topics: CNN • Piers Morgan
tmpl
  1. Maria Hechanova

Sununu suggests that all Black people should support Obama and all Whites should support Romney...who then should Latinos and Asians support in this election? Guess stupidity is the direct result of being racist.

October 25, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. chas holman

Sununu is a creepy gross bigot.. I am not surprised he is allied so closely to the Romney campaign.

October 26, 2012 at 1:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Michele

I understand if you don't like President Obama. Don't vote for him. I need to ask how you can vote for a bigot. Since Sununu is an adviser of Romney you have to think they share the same views. 47% comes to mind. I do not want this man in My White House.

October 26, 2012 at 2:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Gabriele McKown

Is he stating that Mr. Powell endorses "The President of the United States" because he is black? I believe that Mr. Powell is more educated then to be a racist or biased and takes into consideration who has the qualification, care to bring our country out of a mess that was handed over by the previous thoughtless care of another president and made hard to implement causes and laws to help the american people's lifes improve. It is scary to watch our country wanted to be taken back to days of racism, unequality for the sake of money and political extreme view of a political party without regard to all American's.Implement bypartisan laws that help people, instead of your political view, re-election thought or party belonging. I with my disabled child had no choice but to leave our home in the US due to recieving no help from ex-spouse for the further medical care of our child. Something that was ordered by court but would take additional funds to have that judgement implemented against him. Change the laws so mothers and fathers that have judgemends implemented without having to pay again to get the orders/judgments followed throught. My child is one of the lucky few to have dual citizenship in a country that has government medical care. Our country, USA , our people shouldn't have to leave due to no finance for such as medical, enforcements....

October 26, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Debi

For crying out loud this is at least the 3rd time this guy has apologized or "taken back" his statements in a short amount of time. At some point we have to accept that Romney condones this guys comments as things the candidate wants to say but lets his front guy do it for him.

October 26, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. YN

Is the former bigoted governor supporting Romney because they are both white? Is this a glimpse of what their political ideology is based on, race and class belonging? I think Pierce Morgan should have followed up with this question, but did not. Now it is upto CNN to follow through and shed some light on this.

October 26, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. David

So...would Sununu also suggest that George Bush endorsed Romney because of his race? I think not. Call it what it is...racist is racist! By the way...I am white.

October 26, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse | Reply